A cutting board is a must-have item that can never lack in any kitchen. They come in various sizes and are meant for different purposes. As a rule of the thumb, it’s necessary to have more than one cutting board to prevent cross-contamination, or if not so, then the single board should be double-sided and easy to clean.
Modern chopping boards vary in construction. Some are made of hard plastic and others feature bamboo or maple woods. The decision to go either way depends on your personal preference. However, for health reasons, the board should be odor-free, stain-free, and antibacterial.
TL;DR Top Rated Modern Cutting Board
Below is a list of 10 cutting boards you can’t go wrong with:
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
What is a Good Size Cutting Board?
One of the most common cutting mistakes in the kitchen is using the wrong size cutting board so if you’ve ever looked at all the different cutting board sizes and wondered, “which size do I need for my kitchen” then we’ve got a simple tip to help you decide which board size is right for you.
A small board is great for cutting strawberries, lemons or other small items with a paring knife, but once you pick up a chef’s knife you need to also pick up a larger board. Having the right size board helps make cutting easier and also much safer.
The one tip you need in picking out the perfect size cutting board is to lay your knife on your board diagonally and make sure that you have at least one to two inches on either side of the knife.
Have an 8″ chef’s knife that you’re always pulling out of the drawer? Make sure your board measures at least 12″ diagonally.
Of course, this is a really simplistic way of looking at what size board you need but you should also take into consideration what you’re usually cutting and using the board for.
If all you’re doing is cutting up fruit and small vegetables then a small board is adequate but even if you have an 8″ knife and you’re using it all the time to prep your mirepoix of celery, onion, and carrots then you might want to consider a larger board that you can store some of the items on one side of your board while you’re working on the others.
If you’re cutting large items like pineapples or even sweet potatoes, you’ll want to give yourself plenty of room and consider larger boards. Don’t get caught with a board that’s too small for the job, you’ll regret it later!
Best Cutting Boards Review 🧐
Most boards are made from wood or plastic, and both have their advantages. Wooden boards are more aesthetically pleasing, but plastic boards can go in the dishwasher making them easier to clean. Here are the best boards on the market to get your collection started.
Extra Thick Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats
Cooler Kitchen knows the importance of using different cutting boards for different foods to avoid the transfer of tastes. As such, they offer you 4 incredibly beautiful cutting boards at a very dirty price. The 4 boards bear icons, so you’ll never use the wrong board for the wrong activity.
These boards are made of a sturdy BPA-free material and have the approval of FDA. Again, they are flexible to allow you to easily drop your foods into your pot or throw wastes into the trash bin. Previous reviewers confirm that they don’t dull your knife even with frequent usage.
1 used from $12.74
- OUR TEXTURED & FLEXIBLE PLASTIC CUTTING BOARDS FOR KITCHEN ARE BUILT TO LAST - Don't just buy a thin flimsy see through sheet of plastic like you did last time. Other cutting mats will warp heavily in the dishwasher, slide dangerously on your countertop, and are often flimsy and hard to cut on. What's the point of buying a cutting mat if your sharp knife will cut right through them? They may be cheaper, but you're not going to be satisfied, or get much of a lifespan out of them.
Farberware 3-Piece Assorted Poly Cutting Board Set
This set of 3 cutting boards is designed for the busy kitchens with a lot of chopping and slicing to do. The boards are durable having been made of solid Polypropylene.
All these boards have been skillfully polished to make sure that there’re no loose chips which would easily get stained with time. Of the three, the paddle-shaped board is handy when it comes to carving or doing some vegetable prep. When it comes to cleaning, it’ll always be a breeze for you since they all go safely in the dishwasher.
- VERSATILE: These plastic cutting board have a reversible cutting surface perfect for every food prep, from slicing fruit to chopping veggie and is a perfect kitchen starter set, housewarming gift or back to school essential.
- BPA-FREE: This cutting board is made of BPA-free, polypropylene plastic. The poly material is non-absorbent, non-porous, and will not harbor odors, stains, or harmful bacteria. It is gentle on knives, keeping their blades from getting dull quickly.
Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board
Utopia Kitchen is a reputable brand when it comes to outstanding kitchen accessories. Their Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board has received a lot of praise from Professional Chefs and home users. This board is made of 100% pure Bamboo wood.
The board is lightweight and doesn’t require any maintenance. For your health safety, it has sunflower oil finish making it hygienic and easy to clean. You only need some warm water and soap, and you’re done. Buyers loved it since it’s multi-purpose and durable.
- Moso bamboo wood's hard density makes it sustainable and is almost maintenance free
- This cutting board can be used for cutting fruits, meat, bread, baked goods without unnecessary hacking and sawing
- Extremely light yet very durable bamboo construction makes it hard to scar a bamboo cutting board with a knife and at the same time its soft nature does not damage or blunt your knives
- The cutting board is perfect for any home cook or professional chef
Bamboo Cutting Board and Serving Tray
This is another Bamboo Cutting Board that you shouldn’t go without. It’s stronger and more durable than its Maple competitors. With its 18’’ by 12’’ by ¾’’, you’ll find this versatile board useful in all your daily kitchen activities.
Is it safe? Sure. This Bamboo board is non-absorbent and won’t harbor any germs. Moreover, it has been designed to catch juices when carving so you can be assured of a non-messy experience.
- ✔ GREAT FOR FOOD SAFETY - High quality cutting board made from 100% premium bamboo with no added dyes or stains
- ✔ EXTRA LARGE & DURABLE - Measures 18 in. x 12 in. x 3/4 in. and weighs 3.1 lbs. providing space for heavy duty vegetable chopping, slicing fruits, and cutting meat. High quality bamboo resists knife scaring and warping
- ✔ GENTLE ON KNIVES - Bamboo is strong and dense as hardwoods, but unlike glass or plastic cutting boards, won't dull your kitchen knives
Seville Classics Bamboo Cutting Board with Removable Cutting Mats
In the world of Bamboo cutting boards, you’ll have to search harder for another one to beat Seville. It’s a heavy duty cutting board with unbeatable features. This board has been thoughtfully designed to house 7 mats for cheese, beef, poultry, fruits, vegetables, bread, and fish.
All these mats have been color -coded and bear icons for easy recognition. They are also flexible and gentle on your knife. Seville Cutting Board is perfect if you don’t want to wash it after every use. Again, the 7 mats it comes with will save you the need to flock your kitchen with hundreds of boards.
4 used from $21.37
- Durable, attractive bamboo construction. Fast-growing and plentiful, bamboo is stronger, more sustainable, and easier on knives than other hardwood cutting boards
- Includes 7 brightly color-coded cutting board mats that make clean up easy and help prevent cross contamination when preparing fruits, vegetables, cheese, meat, fish, poultry, dough and baked goods
- Flexible cutting mats are BPA free and designed to fit snugly into the top surface of the cutting board; use them with the cutting board or separately, and store them inside the cutting board when not in use
Sabatier Mixed Wood Cutting Board
This mixed wood cutting board from Sabatier is pretty to look at and practical. It can be used for cutting and serving. We liked that it stayed put during cutting when a damp paper towel was placed underneath it and that it felt sturdy thanks to its thickness. Washing by hand was easy, but we recommend keeping a food-grade seasoning oil on hand to rub it down often to keep it smooth and crack-free.
- REVERSIBLE CUTTING SURFACE: This cutting board has a reversible cutting surface perfect for everyday food preparation, from slicing fruit to chopping veggies.
- PREMIUM WOODS: Each board is made from all natural, and durable woods and features acacia, bamboo, crushed bamboo, and pine woods. This wood board is gentle on knives to preserve their sharpness for continued quality cutting.
- MULTI-PURPOSE: This wood board is perfect for serving; each panel of wood can be used as a guide to easily separate meats, cheeses, olives, bread and more!
J.K. Adams Large Reversible Maple Carving Board
You’ll find plenty of features in this cutting board that make it a good match for carving meat—like grooves in the board’s surface and a slight slope to one side so that the juices that release from meat all run down into a single large well. This particularly impressed our reviewer, who typically puts her cutting board into a sheet pan to collect overflowing juices when she is carving; with this board, she doesn’t have to. This well also makes it easy to spoon the juices out and use them for sauces or gravy.
When you order the J.K. Adams cutting board, you can even choose to add steel spikes to it, which helps keep the meat locked in position as you carve. This sturdy board has substantial size and weight that’s perfect for significant cuts of meat and comes with a five-year warranty.
Stock up on all the supplies you’ll need for a roast—our list of the best roasting pans and best electric knives will help you get started.
- MADE IN VERMONT, USA from sustainably grown and harvested North American hardwoods.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE. No questions asked. Our products come to you with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you ever have any problems with a JK Adams product, we will replace it.
- REVERSIBLE BOARD one side features an indentation that cradles your poultry or roasts so they do not slip while you carve. The reverse side is flat with a juice groove.
Dexas Heavy Duty Grippmat Flexible Cutting Board Set of Four
A flexible cutting board makes transport of chopped up items easy—just lift and fold up the edges to create a handy funnel to send food into a pot or bowl. You’ll get a set of four in bright colors, each perfect for everyday usage. For thin boards, these are relatively sturdy, even while their thinness makes them easy to store in cabinets or drawers. Moreover, grip marks on one side of each cutting board prevent the cutting boards from sliding around.
“We used these on a smooth countertop and a wooden table, and the boards remained in place, with no slipping or sliding as we worked,” our reviewer says.
The plastic is both non-porous and non-absorbent. The colors are attractive, and can also help prevent cross-contamination—so you can remember which board you used for which ingredient. To clean, use hot water and soap or just toss the cutting boards into your dishwasher.
2 used from $9.49
- Set of four cutting boards: one each of red, yellow, green and blue. Use different colors while cutting to avoid cross contamination
- Cutting boards are lightweight and flexible. They are non-porous and non-absorbent
- Non-slip backing grips to counter surfaces for safety
- Fold and roll these cutting boards to easily funnel prepped food into pans and bowls
- Dishwasher safe and BPA free
- Boards measure 8 by 11 inches
Villa Acacia Small Wood Cutting Board
If you only have a small job—mincing up a few cloves of garlic, for instance, or quartering a lime—it can feel like a hassle to drag out a full-sized cutting board. Enter the Villa Acacia wood cutting board: the grain of the tropical hardwood is beautiful, and at just half an inch thick and 12×9 inches in size, it’s lightweight, perfect for smaller tasks, and can be easily stashed away in cabinets when not being used. But it’s also large enough to serve as a board for cutting and carving large pieces of meat, many reviewers rave.
The board is reversible, with one side that’s totally flat and another with a juice groove running around the edge. Small indentations on the two sides of the cutting board make it easy to pick up.
- Small Wooden Cutting Board - Measures 12 x 9 inches and is perfect for quick cooking jobs and prep work. Lightweight and easy to handle, this cutting board is super convenient and doesn’t hog up space in your kitchen.
- Beautiful Acacia Wood - Made from dark acacia wood, a tropical hardwood that is resists germ growth and is perfect for food. The 3/4 inch thick board is durable and does not easily stain or show knife marks.
What Cutting Board is Best?
For those who prefer environmentally friendly cutting boards, we found several bamboo cutting boards for you. While Kitchen Active Bamboo Board was highly rated, Seville Board with its 7 removable mats proves versatile and more hygienic. On the other hand, all the plastic boards we sought were found to be BPA-free and food grade.