Assuming you spend between 10 or 15 minutes hand washing the dishes each night, that means you will spend an average of around 75 hours per year doing the dishes. That’s more than three entire days spent scrubbing away at plates, forks, bowls, and all the rest of it. Over the course of the average adult lifetime, that works out to be more than half a year spent washing dishes.
And that’s assuming you only need 10 or 15 minutes, which is rather an efficient cleaning for the cookware and place settings associated with the average family meal. Learning how to more efficiently clean the dishes means many hours back in your life each year. Here are a few tips to speed things along their way:
Start With The Cleanest Dishes – When it’s time to do the dishes, save those greasy, food-encrusted pots and pans for last, first washing those nearly spotless water glasses and salad plates. Cleaning cleaner dishes first keep your sponge and sink cleaner; cleaning greasy dishes or pots first can make other dishes even dirtier than they already are and eats up for time and effort.
Use Cold Water On Certain Stains, Foods – If you’re trying to remove bits of rice or pasta, use cold water, as hot water will make them stickier. Milk, butter, and yogurt are also better cleaned with cold water than hot.
When In Doubt, Soak – Your time will be better spent submerging a dirty pot now and scrubbing at it for three minutes in an hour than scouring and screaming at it for ten minutes now. Let warm water and soap slowly soften and break up congealed messes.
And of course there’s always your greatest ally in the kitchen: the dishwasher.
TL;DR Countertop Dishwashers
Initially, dishwashers were large and sat on the counter. As a result of better design, there are high capacity countertop dishwashers on the market today. Here is the best countertop dishwasher.
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will be received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
Countertop Dishwasher vs Portable Dishwasher
When purchasing any new appliance, you first want to consider your space. The type of appliance you look for will depend greatly on how much or how little space you have available.
Portable Free-Standing Dishwashers
Suitable for a family and with no special plumbing installation required except the correct faucet adapter, portable dishwashers are a great option for apartment dwellers or for those who relocate often. They only require a parking space in your kitchen and operation is simple. When you need to run it, wheel it to the kitchen sink, connect with an adapter to the hot water faucet, load and operate as you would a built-in model.
These units generally have the same features and capacity as their built-in 24″ wide counterparts. They also provide additional counter workspace, since most have a butcher block or durable countertop. There is also no storage space sacrificed for these models, but it is advisable to review your kitchen format for the most convenient location for it. At one time these units were higher priced, but now they are comparable in price to built-in models. It’s the capacity and additional features that mostly affect the price.
These are the most economical of all models and require a counter or stable cart to locate them close to the sink. To operate, you need a connection or adapter to attach to the faucet (as with a full-size portable unit) and they generally run as long as the faucet is turned on.
We have used a countertop dishwasher for several years with a small family and found it cleaned well as long as dishes were rinsed or food residue was removed before loading, and the unit was operated immediately after a meal.
A capacity is usually a place setting for four (though there are larger models) and cookware or serving pieces might require handwashing. Dishes can either be heat, air or hand drying. Newer models now have some enhanced washing cycles and heated drying. However, these are impractical if counter space is at a premium and inadequate for a large family.
Dishwasher Buying Guide
Next, you must think about your budget and other factors:
Make a careful note of the exact dimensions you can use to accommodate a countertop dishwasher. Take special note of the distance between the top of your counter and the bottom of your cabinet.
You definitely want to consider how much you can put into your dishwasher. Most countertop dishwasher models will accept up to 6 place settings, but it may vary from model to model.
Countertop dishwashers with stainless steel interiors will be more durable and should last longer than models with plastic interiors.
If it is important to you to have a dry cycle, look for a model that includes this feature.
If the water draining out of the countertop dishwasher needs to go above the level of the countertop dishwasher (as it would if you placed the unit below the level of the drain) you need a model with a pump. You can avoid this problem by knowing beforehand where your portable unit will be placed.
Most countertop dishwashers come with water heaters of varying power. Those dishwashers that have water heaters also usually have two or more settings to vary the power of the heater.
Number of Different Cycles
Different portable dishwasher models vary in their number of cycles. So, think about what is important for you and your family, and buy accordingly.
Energy and Water Efficiency
Check the water and energy usage of the countertop dishwashers to find one that meets your needs.
Overall, when selecting the best countertop dishwasher for you, make sure you take into consideration the space you have available, your budget and the features that you need. Once you’ve decided on those answers, you can filter out what you don’t want and then make a more educated and informed buying decision.
Top Rated Countertop Dishwasher Reviews
Thanks to improved technology and competitive pricing, you can finally purchase your own countertop dishwasher to make washing dishes in a small space a breeze. With the portability factor, these appliances can fit almost anywhere making them a perfect addition to your home or office.
Below we have reviewed five of the most popular countertop dishwashers.
SPT Countertop Dishwasher
This is a capable countertop dishwasher which can perform a total of 7 wash cycles. Examples of these are heavy, light, mini party and speed. It also has a delayed start that you can set to 4, 6 or 8 hours so as to wash your dishes automatically. The SPT countertop dishwasher has a universal faucet connector that can work with any water faucet and has an LED display as well.
- energy guide capacity: 203
- installation type: Counter Top
- material type: Iron
- form factor: Stand Alone
- controls type: Full Panel
Koldfront Countertop Dishwasher
Available in black or white, this is a countertop dishwasher that combines function and convenience. It has the capacity to set and clean 6 dishes at the same time. Moreover, it has 6 wash cycles and a universal water faucet connector. The Koldfront countertop dishwasher has an interior which is made of stainless steel and works quietly thanks to its 55±3dB rating.
- Six (6) standard place setting capacity / Includes dish rack, cup shelf, and cutlery basket
- Holds plates up to 10.5" in diameter / Six (6) wash cycles / Quick connect adapter for most kitchen faucets
- Stainless steel interior / Fits under most cabinetry / Water consumption (normal wash): 3.5 gallons
- Power: 1160 W/10.7 A / Input voltage: 120 V/60 Hz / Noise level: 55±3dB
- For the white version of this model please see PDW60EW / Dimensions: 17-3/16" H x 21-11/16" W x 19-11/16" D
Costway Countertop Dishwasher
The Costway countertop dishwasher features push-button functions and semi-electronic controls. You can choose between 6 wash cycles using a rotary selector. It is compact and saves space in your kitchen. Moreover, you can delay the start function between 1 and 24 hours.
- 【Easy to Use】Semi-Integrated Electronic Controls With Easy-To-Use Rotary Cycle Selector And Push-Button Functions
- 【Space Saving 】This Countertop Dishwasher Fits Between Most Standard Countertops And Cabinetry
- 【PreSet】Start Function Can Be Delayed Between 1 And 24 Hours, Using 1-Hour Increments
- 【6 Wash Cycles】Six Wash Cycles Include Heavy, Normal, ECO, Speed, Glass And Rinse
- 【Durable & Quiet】Stainless Steel Interior For Long-lasting Durability, Operates Quietly to Avoid Disrupting Other Areas
SPT SD – 2213S Countertop Dishwasher
This countertop dishwasher is made such that it has controls which are simple to manipulate. It has 6 wash cycles and a universal faucet connector. The SPT SD – 2213S countertop dishwasher also has warning indicators about the water supply and rinse aid.
- Sunpentown commercial units can be found in many top restaurants, hotels and resorts
- Sunpentown manufactures products with customer’s everyday comfort and ease in mind
- Sunpentown offers hundreds of products in a wide range of categories: air quality, refrigeration, lighting, sanitary, massage and dishwasher
- Sunpentown offers top of the line appliances at a competitive price and superior customer service that go above-and-beyond
SPT SD-9241W Energy Star countertop dishwasher
This countertop dishwasher gives you the choice of 6 wash cycles. You can also delay its start and stop function on demand. Its upper rack is adjustable so as to accommodate large plates. The SPT SD-9241W Energy Star countertop dishwasher also has a universal faucet connector.
- 6 Wash Programs: All-in-1, Heavy, Normal, Light , Rinse and Speed
- Automatic detergent and rinse agent dispenser
- Up to 8 standard place settings
- Concealed heating element
- Adjustable upper basket to accomodate large pots/plates
SPT SD-9241SS Energy Star Countertop Dishwasher
This countertop dishwasher is made entirely of stainless steel. It is also capable of providing 6 wash cycles and has a time delay of between 1 and 24 hours. The SPT SD-9241SS Energy Star countertop dishwasher has a universal faucet connector too. An LED screen shows you the settings of the machine while washing.
EdgeStar countertop dishwasher
This countertop dishwasher has a seating capacity of 6 places. Moreover, it has an LED screen to show its settings during use. The EdgeStar countertop dishwasher has a delayed start function, child lock setting and requires 120V of power to work. You get a 5-foot hose upon purchase and the unit can fit on majority of standard faucets.
- Six (6) standard place setting capacity / Includes dish rack, cup shelf, and cutlery basket
- Holds plates up to 10.5" in diameter / Seven (7) wash cycles / Quick connect adapter fits standard sized kitchen faucets / Beautiful digital display
- Stainless steel interior / Fits under most cabinetry / Water consumption (normal wash): 2.85 gallons
- Power: 1160 W/5.7 A / Input voltage: 120 V/60 Hz / Noise level: 52.3dB / WxDxH 21 5/8" (550mm) x 19 5/8" (498mm) x 17 5/16" (440mm) (Minimum height with overhead cabinets: 17-3/4")
Ivation Portable Dishwasher
The Ivation Countertop Dishwasher is just full of amazing features! This is easy to set up and easy to disassemble, making it perfect for anyone who wants a dishwasher but might not have a lot of space on their counters. It’s a great solution for any small space that doesn’t have a full-sized unit. It’s very small, but it can still hold up to six place settings inside. It is made from durable stainless steel and has a powerful spray arm that helps get things clean. The Ivation Countertop Dishwasher features an automatic rinse and detergent dispensers along with six wash cycles of varying strengths. Weighing in at just under 50 pounds, it’s very lightweight and easy to move and store. Oh, and did we mention just how beautiful this machine is? It looks lovely with the decor of most kitchens!
- CONVENIENT COUNTERTOP DISHWASHER – Dishwashing Unit Temporarily Connects to Sink Via Faucet Adapter to Deliver Full-Sized Power in Small, Portable Package
- AMAZING COMPACT DESIGN – Spacious Cavity Fits  Standard Place Settings for Apartment or Office; Includes Sliding Dish Rack, Cup Shelf & Silverware Basket
- HEAVY DUTY PERFORMANCE – Durable Stainless Steel Interior, Spray Arm Deliver Many Years of Powerful, Dependable Washing; Safe for Temperatures Up to 148°F
hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
The hOmeLabs Countertop Dishwasher is our Top Pick! This small dishwasher measures about 17 inches by 19 inches by 22 inches. It weighs in at about 67 pounds. It connects to your sink with no tools and little setup, making for easy installation and break down.
This dishwasher is great for small apartments without one, outdoor events, boats, and RVs. It saves space but also saves water, so it’s great to use if you don’t get used enough dishes to fill your full-sized dishwasher. It’s simple to use and program; it has 6 different wash cycle options too: heavy, normal, eco, glass, speed, and rinse only. It’s a great tool that is incredibly versatile. And all you need is a sink and some power to get it going!
- CLEANS AS YOU GO - A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the dishes in the dish basket and cutlery rack and let this white dishwasher do the dirty job. Easily sits on countertops or tabletop requiring less space
- USER FRIENDLY CONTROLS - With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options: heavy, normal, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse for your different dishwashing needs. Delay button light to postpone wash cycle
Magic Chef countertop dishwasher
With a 6 place setting, this dishwasher has a power rating of 380 watts. The Magic Chef countertop dishwasher has 6 wash cycle settings with quick wash too. The unit is fitted with a floating wash, anti-flood device as well. To make your experience convenient, it has automatic dispensers of the rinse agent and detergent too.
- 6 Place-setting Capacity
- Easy-to-use Electronic Controls With Digital Display
- 5 Wash-cycle Options Using Program Knob
- Organized Interior Arrangement Includes Cutlery Basket & Cup Rack
- Hygienic Residual Drying System Avoids Using Air Outside The Dishwasher
Which Countertop Dishwasher Is Best?
In our opinion, we would select the SPT Countertop Dishwasher for a couple of reasons. It has the best, consistently-positive reviews on Amazon.com (it is, in fact, currently rated number one) and the price is right.
Lastly, it is packed with features like energy savings thanks to the Energy Star rating; it is quite compact, has a durable stainless steel interior and uses low water consumption. Overall, select the one that is right for your space, whether on the floor or on the counter and say goodbye to dishwashing by hand.