The use of kitchen shears goes back several centuries where they were seen as vital equipment in any professional kitchen. These days you can find them in almost every kitchen whether professional or nonprofessionals. The advancement in technology has led to the introduction of better and superior shears in the market. Some of these shears are specially made for specific uses while others are all-purpose.
When come to kitchen shears, the most common confusion is “what the difference between kitchen shears and scissors?”
Kitchen Shears vs Scissors
Kitchen Shears are specially designed scissors for the kitchen. They are not shaped like regular scissors; they are shaped like shears.
Some are specially made for poultry and fish, with one of their blades being a serrated one to help cut through flesh such as chicken joints or fish fillets.
Some will have handles covered in rubber.
Some have a bottle opener in the handle.
Some models screw apart at the hinge for easier cleaning.
So, what kitchen shears types are available?
TL;DR Best Kitchen Shears
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
What Kitchen Shears Types Are Available in Market?
Kitchen shears are available in various sizes and styles, which range from the specialty scissors to the all-purpose kitchen shears.
All-purpose kitchen shears
These types of shears are designed in such a way that they can perform more than just one task. They are crafted with high-grade steel blades to handle most of the jobs.
These scissors are crafted for specific purposes and are only suitable for performing particular tasks. Although they do not perform as good their all-purpose counterparts, they are great for special day-to-day tasks.
Poultry or meat shears
Cutting poultry or meat into smaller pieces might prove to be a daunting task but with these meat or poultry shears, the work becomes easier. Their joints are well designed to allow for clean cuts through joints and sinews.
These are special shears designed to cut herbs. They have multiple cutting edges that allow the cutter to cut even the thickest of herbs without much difficulty.
In this era of technology, it is not a wonder to hear of electric scissors. They are charged using six volts and are suitable for use in slicing or opening packages. They are recommended for people with arthritis especially if they find it difficult to open packages using conventional scissors.
Out of so many kitchen shears, how to choose the right kitchen shears?
How To Choose Kitchen Shears?
Many people aren’t quite sure what they are looking for in a pair of kitchen shears, so they simply purchase the most basic and easy-to-find style of shears in their local department store or they snap up the most expensive pair they can find, assuming that they cannot possibly go wrong that way.
I bet you didn’t realize that kitchen shears could actually have a world of their own or that such a world could be complicated but, trust me, there is one and it is rather complex. I hope that when you have finished reading this article you will have a better idea of what you are looking for.
Curved Versus Straight
You may have noticed, as you have searched around in various department stores and websites, that kitchen shear blades come in two basic shapes – curved and straight. I want to quickly point out the difference between these two types of kitchen shears so that you can be sure you purchase the right kind for your needs.
Put quite simply, curved blades are used for cutting poultry (and sometimes other types of meat), whereas straight blades are more multipurpose. Although it is easier to cut poultry with curved blades, you can cut poultry and other types of meat with straight blades.
On the other hand, cutting vegetables and herbs can be quite difficult with curved blades. Therefore, if you are planning to use your shears for anything other than cutting meat, I highly suggest purchasing a pair with rather straight blades.
Sharp Edges Are Important
It should go without saying that you want to find yourself a pair of kitchen shears with very sharp edges. Equally important, you want to find yourself a pair whose edges will be easy to sharpen once they begin to grow dull.
Let’s be honest, you are going to be trying to cut through some very difficult foods and will probably find yourself holding these shears at awkward angles at times. You need to be able to be in full control of what these shears are doing and where they are going.
Dull edges may be good on children’s safety scissors, but children work with construction paper and you are trying to work with various vegetables, fruits, and cuts of meat. The sharper your shears are, the safer you will ultimately be.
Of course, your first step will be selecting a pair that comes with a sharp edge. The sharper the edge is when you purchase the shears the easier it will be to keep it sharp, because it has already been shaped into a good angle.
If you are purchasing in a store, you can easily just pick them up and have a look. If you are purchasing online, however, you will probably have to do a little research. Try reading reviews such as the ones on this website, and consumer feedback.
Generally speaking, those with microserrations (tiny, barely visible teeth) on their blades are sharper than those with straight edges. This type of blade also stays sharp for longer. That being said, when it comes time to reshape you may have to visit a specialist to have the serrations sharpened back into the blade.
Easy To Sharpen
Now that you have selected a sharp pair of shears, you will want to keep them sharp, right? Your ability to keep your blades sharp with ease will depend upon two major factors – the metal they have been constructed from and the way their blades have been designed.
The best steel for sharpening is high-carbon steel. It is considered the best among most chefs because not only is it easy to sharpen but it also stays sharp longer than other options such as stainless steel.
However, high-carbon steel is known to rust. Many companies have been making a high-carbon stainless steel hybrid which mixes the best and worst of both worlds – it stays sharp longer than stainless but not as long as high-carbon steel; it doesn’t rust as easily as high carbon steel but is more sensitive to water than regular stainless steel.
The way the blades have been designed will also impact how easy they are to sharpen. Blades which come apart are usually the easiest to sharpen, but these do have their own dangers and concerns as you will see later on in this article.
Another option for easy sharpening is a specially shaped blade. Instead of the sharp part of the blade running from the tip up to the screw, some shears have been designed with blades which stop being sharp about an inch below the screw and which have been shaped so that the sharp part of the blade protrudes, making it easier to sharpen without interference from surrounding parts.
If you are looking to purchase a pair of kitchen shears there are a few things you will want to consider when it comes to handles.
To begin, you will want handles with some sort of non-stick coating or built-in grip system. Oftentimes, you will find yourself working with slippery foods and wet hands. To save yourself time, you will want to work with your shears without having to worry about washing and drying your hands on a constant basis to avoid losing control and possibly hurting yourself.
Non-slip handles will allow you to do just that. Rubbery silicone handles are an example of handles created from and/or covered with a non-slip material.
You can also buy shears with metal and plastic handles which have been textured for extra grip, though these can slip much easier than those created with non-stick materials.
Another option is metal or plastic handles with added silicone grips. These grips are usually created in the form of ridges or bumps and are glued to handles during the manufacturing process. My only concern with this type of handle is that the added silicone may come off during use and could possibly fall into your food.
Overall, if you often find yourself working with wet or slippery hands, I suggest to purchase shears with silicone coated handles. If you can find fully-coated silicone handles with built-in texture, you are even further ahead of the game. However, if you do not plan to use your shears with slick hands, none of this is of concern to you. Feel free to snap up a pair with plastic or metal handles.
Pull Apart Handles and Blades
Some kitchen shears are made to come apart for easy cleaning and easy sharpening. Whether or not you select pull-apart handles and blades will depend on what is important to you in terms of convenience, control, and safety.
These kinds of shears are usually designed so that one handle is connected to the opposite blade, like most shears and scissors. Unlike other types of shears and scissors, this kind does not feature a tensioning screw. Instead, it features a locking mechanism whereby a knob built into one handle slides into a notch in the opposite handle, holding the shears together much like a lock-adjust wrench.
This is extremely helpful when it comes to both sharpening and cleaning. Unlike other kinds of shears, you can sharpen one blade at a time, right up to the point where the handles meet, without worrying about the other blade interfering with your work.
Fewer crevices mean that you will be able to get every bit of bacteria and water cleaned off of these shears. Health concerns and rust concerns will be a thing of the past.
Why aren’t all shears constructed this way and why do some people opt for the kind with a screw in the middle? The screw in the middle serves two major purposes – it holds the blades together and also sometimes allows you to adjust the tension between the blades.
First of all, this way of fastening blades together is much safer than the sliding lock mechanism discussed above. When using quality shears constructed in this fashion you will not need to worry that moving them in strange ways may release the blades from each other.
Secondly, by tightening or loosening the screw you can adjust the tension and space between the blades depending on the type of food with which you are working. For example, I like looser blades when working with thick cuts of meat and tighter blades when finely chopping herbs and other garnishes.
However, I do not recommend using extremely loose blades when cutting anything, as it may get stuck and jam the blades.
Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears Review in 2019
However, since there are so many kitchen shears available in the market today, it can be a hard task to choose the best ones for your needs. That is why we have prepare a list of the Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears Review in 2019.
10. Kershaw Taskmaster Shears
The Taskmaster shears are versatile multipurpose tools that are suitable for cutting tasks, nut cracking, jar opening, lid lifting, screw driving and bone notching. The blades separate fully thus making it easy to clean them. They are made from cutlery-grade stainless steel and combine serrated edges with straight edge`s to maximize versatility. Their blades are 4 inches long and are attached to non-slip handles. They are manufactured in Japan.
- 3.5-inch high-performance stainless-steel blades offer good edge retention, corrosion resistance and are easily separated for cleaning and sharpening
- Partially serrated shears equipped with a nutcracker, jar opener, lid lifter, bone notch along one blade, plastic over-mold handles and two screwdriver tips
- Keep available in the kitchen, garage, workshop, boat, camp, tool box, or even in a garden cart
- Excellent companion for anyone in need of highly reliable shears for multipurpose use, such as home cooks, hunters, hobbyists, campers, anglers and landscapers
9. OXO Good Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears
The OXO Good Grips perfectly combines professional-quality cutting with soft grips. The sharp blades are perfect for cutting and trimming poultry. The blades are tapered and curved to ease access to places that are otherwise hard to reach. The blades are serrated to enhance the grip on poultry meat and prevent possible slipping. The blades also have blade notch, which is solely designed to securely hold the bones when cutting. The addition of handle bolsters and loops ensures that your hands do not slip when cutting. The blades can be separated for easy cleaning.
- Kitchen poultry shears with sharp, stainless-steel blades
- Spring loaded handle prevents hand strain
- Tapered blades access hard-to-reach places
- Handle loop and bolster prevent hand from slipping forward
- Blades separate for cleaning
- Hand wash with Warm, soapy water
8. Pridebit Kitchen Scissors 420
The multipurpose Pridebit scissors are very handy in tasks such as snipping, slicing, opening bottles, scaling fish, cutting poultry, peeling vegetables and so much more. They easily separate improved slicing and cleaning. With every purchase you make you get a magnetic holder cool, right? Pridebit guarantees 100% satisfaction and a full refund in case the scissors do not fit your needs. They are also great when given as holiday gifts.
- MULTIPURPOSE KITCHEN SCISSORS/SHEARS. Cuts, snips, slices, opens bottles, scales fish, peels vegetables, cuts poultry into pieces and more! The Pridebit Kitchen Scissors Shears are a handy tool anywhere you prepare a meal - at home, at work and in the outdoors. IT'S ALSO A GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT.
- SEPARATES FOR EASY CLEANING AND SLICING. Pridebit Kitchen Scissors can be taken apart to clean away debris at the joint or for convenience when slicing or sharpening.
7. WISLIFE Culinary Scissors
The WISLIFE Culinary Scissors are perfect for use in the office, kitchen and even perform outdoor tasks. The uniquely designed blades help in various cutting tasks such as cutting clothes, herbs, vegetables, meat, opening cans and cartons. They are made using durable stainless steel and have the light-duty feature that makes them easy to use and handle. They have non-slip rubber handles that are very comfortable. They have a strong grip and are dishwasher safe. The new model features a bright color that is very easy to spot even when misplaced in a group of kitchen ware.
- MULTIPLE USES: WISLIFE kitchen shear can be used as a cake and butter cutter, bone cutter, can opener, herb scissor, vegetable peeler, screw driver, bottle opener and nut cracker.
- EASILY TAKE APART: Open our heavy duty kitchen scissors' two blades up to 90 degrees, the kitchen shear just becomes two separated knives, which allow for efficient cleaning and debris removal! The two separated blades can be very convenient while cutting cake or butter, sharpening and slicing stuff.
6. MAIRICO Ultra Sharp Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears and Multi Purpose Scissors
The MAIRICO Kitchen Shears have an impeccable performance especially when handling kitchen tasks. The blades are very sharp which makes it easy to make precise incisions or cuts with little effect. It also performs pretty well in heavy-duty tasks such as cutting meat, poultry bones and herbs. It has a professional design and superb quality. It also has two meaningful additions of a nutcracker and bottle opener.
- IMPECCABLE PERFORMANCE FOR KITCHEN TASKS: The blades are ultra sharp and deliver highly precise cuts with minimal effort. It performs extraordinarily well in all major kitchen tasks, such as butterflying poultry, cutting meat, chicken, poultry bones, vegetables, fish, various foods, herbs, etc. Its high quality blades and extreme sharpness made it a terrific performer in and outside the kitchen. Each cut is buttery smooth and unexpectedly enjoyable.
5. Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors
Titanium bonded scissors are three times harder than ordinary steel and maintain sharpness for longer. The Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors have soft-grip holes that ensure that your hand has a comfortable firm grip around the scissors. They are 8 inches long, which makes convenient for delivering smooth and efficient cutting. They are ideal for use both at the office and at home since they can cut through paper, fabric and cardboard. Each pair has a lifetime warranty.
7 used from $7.08
- Titanium bonded blades are 3X harder than stainless steel; blades stay sharper longer
- Corrosion resistant
- Contoured soft grip handles
- Ideal for paper, cardboard, light line, fabric and other materials. Product dimensions: 10.9 x 0.8 x 4.4 inches
- Manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty
4. J. A Henckels International Kitchen Shears
The Henckels Kitchen Shears have micro-serrated blade edges to prevent slipping. The area between the blade and the handle can open bottle caps. The serrated areas on the handle can open screw caps as well as crack nuts. The manufacturer, J. A International, uses high quality stainless steel. They have a lifetime warranty and are dishwasher safe but in this case, hand washing is recommended.
- High quality corrosion resistant stainless steel
- Micro-serrated blade edge for slip-proof cutting
- Center area between handle and blade opens bottle caps
- Serrated area in handle can be used as a nutcracker or open screw caps with ease
- Lifetime limited manufacturer warranty; Diswasher safe - hand washing recommended
- No-stain steel blades
3. Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears
Wusthof is a company that has been in this line of work for more than 190 years. The Wusthof Kitchen Shears have a wide range of uses and can cut anything put between its blades from a string to the skin. The handle has a design that allows you to open jar lids. Like its name suggests, the blades come apart thus making them easy to clean. The blades have serrations to prevent meat or any material from slipping while cutting.
3 used from $12.26
- Blades come a part for easy cleaning
- Can be held with either right or left hand
- Handle has helpful jar opener
- Can be taken apart for resharpening
- Steel-tooth insets in handles twist open bottle and jar caps
2. Chef Remi’s Latest Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
These kitchen shears have comfortable handles suitable for both left and right-handed chefs. Each pair has a bottle opener and serrated section tough on the handles enough to crack nuts and open sealed bottles. They are made using corrosion resistant stainless steel with micro-serrated edges to prevent slipping while cutting. Each pair has a 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- ➤ THIS PRODUCT CAN NOT COME APART FOR CLEANING - Please be aware of this feature
- ➤ OUTSTANDING MULTI-PURPOSE FUNCTIONALITY - Perfect for cutting or trimming meats including Steak, Chicken, Poultry, Turkey, Fish and BBQ as well as Fruits, Vegetables, Pizza, Herbs, and Seafood. It can also be used for cutting cardboard boxes, plastic packaging, flower stems, crack nuts, crab legs, and even remove plastic or metal bottle caps
1. Kitchen Aid Shears with Soft Grip Handles
Lifetime Brands manufacture the Kitchen Aid Shears. They are made from corrosion resistant steel. The handles feature soft grip coatings for both comfort and stability. Each blade has micro-serrations to improved cutting performance. The blades also have an extra thickness to enhance durability and strength. They are dishwasher safe although in most cases hand washing is recommended.
- PLASTIC GUARD INCLUDED: These KitchenAid Soft Grip Handle Shears comes with a protective, plastic blade guard
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADES: The blades are crafted from stainless steel that resists rusting
- CLEAN CUT EVERY TIME: Each blade features micro-serrations for enhanced cutting performance and are extra thick for added strength and durability
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE: The handle is shaped for comfort and features a soft-grip coating for stability
What Are The Best Kitchen Shears?
Most of us rarely see the need for shears when we can use knives, but as this article has explained, shears are very vital in all kitchens and can help offload the burden from the knives.
However, choosing a pair of shears may not be easy since all these pairs have outstanding features and are sold at very affordable prices. Fortunately, this review will help you sought out that issue and are sure to walk home with only the best there is to offer.