A kitchen is a magical place where you daily cook delicious cuisine and make your loved ones happy. In that magical haven, you require some necessary things like something to dry rice and spaghetti. It is not new and you are not the first one to realize the need. There are thousands of people around the world who realize the same thing daily and want a utensil to cater to this requirement.
To facilitate diurnal cooking in the kitchen, here are the best colanders which dry the edibles for you and wipe out even the smallest drop of water hence providing you ready raw materials.
TL;DR Best Colander For Kitchen
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will be received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
Colander Vs. Sieve
Many people mistake colanders for sieves and visas Versa. While these are both members of the strainer family, they are two entirely different devices serving their own respective purposes. In a simple, broad sense, colanders are used to remove liquid from food, while sieves are used to collect it — or in some cases to sift foods. If you’re a baker who often needs to remove clumps from your flour or cocoa powder and you don’t have a flour sifter, a sieve can be used as a substitute.
There are a few features that make colanders and sieves distinctly different and best suited for their jobs. Colanders tend to have two handles of the same size and shape on either side allowing you to hold them steadily after dumping mounds of steamed broccoli or cooked rotini into them. Sieves will have one long handle and a hook or loop on the opposite side. This design allows you to rest the sieve over a pot while you dump something like hot water that’s been boiling chicken into the lower chamber. You then get to collect just the savory broth and keep the meat out.
Colanders will always have a rounded bowl while sieves can have either a round or cone-shaped bowl. Colanders also have feet enabling them to stand in a sink while you pour food into them. Sieves won’t have these since they’re always intended to sit over a pot or be held over a bowl. Two other important differentiating features are the materials and the nature of the holes. Colanders might be made of aluminum, steel, or plastic, and feature round holes scattered throughout the bowl — sometimes in large clusters towards the bottom. Sieves contain a mesh wire that forms ultra-fine, uniform holes all over the bowl. As you can see, the two products are not one and the same, but both are important for any chef.
How To Choose Stainless Steel Colanders?
If you’re someone who thinks that every colander is basically the same, we’re ready to blow your mind. Different designs will do different jobs for you while cooking. We’ve put together a collection of the most important things to consider when shopping for a colander or strainer.
Picking a colander with a stainless steel construction means that it won’t rust and will stand up to many uses. Plastic and silicone colanders are inexpensive, but they don’t have the durability of metal. For example, coming into contact with a hot stove burner can melt the plastic, though silicone materials can withstand high temperatures. Silicone colanders are easy to collapse to save space in the cupboard.
If a colander uses the holes to make a decorative pattern or shape, chances are it will drain very slowly because it won’t have enough holes. A number of holes: If you’re frustrated with a slow-draining colander, it probably doesn’t have enough holes in it.
Size of holes
A colander with a fine mesh will work well for draining small foods, such as rice. But cleaning the fine mesh can be tough if tiny particles become stuck in it. A typical colander will have easy-to-see holes that range in size from a pinhead to a pencil eraser.
Supporting the colander
A colander with tiny feet will hold the bottom of the strainer off the base of the sink, ensuring the drained water doesn’t back up into the holes of the colander. Some strainers have expandable handles that will support it against the sides of the sink, easily allowing you to drain the liquid into a bowl to preserve it.
Finally, when selecting the size of the colander, you’ll want to consider a few things. If you cook large pots of pasta regularly, you’ll want a colander size that comes close to matching the size of your pot. You may want a second and/or third colander that’s a little smaller or has different sized holes to handle certain kinds of food.
Best Colander Reviews
We created reviews below with additional guidance for different kinds of colanders. If you plan to buy colanders online please do so through our review so that your purchase (at no additional cost to you) can support this website – thank you.
Culinary Elements Green Colander
This is a handle colander that is perfect for washing some fruits like pasta, vegetable shrimps, berries, among others. You can wash and store it easily without any difficulty. It is also safe to wash in the dishwasher.
- PERSONAL SIZED: Exercise portion control and wash 3-4 cups of fruits and veggies at a time.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLES: Dual handles help to give you a reinforced balance, when pouring out your cookware filled with water and vegetables, so you don't lose your grip.
- COMPACT: At three inches tall and six inches across, this colander fits any kitchen size to enjoy an array of foods and dinners. Use it for washing, rinsing, or draining small portions of fruits like berries, veggies, pasta, and shrimps.
RSVP Endurance Stainless Colander
One of the best colanders, which has been made from high-quality stainless steel. The stainless steel measures 11 inches wide and five inches deep. This is large enough to allow it to hold more food at once. You can use it to straining cooked rice and also, the base is stable enough for reliability.
- Precision pierced colander is the perfect size to gently rinse and hold berries or herbs
- Measures 6-3/8-inch diameter by 3-inches tall, with approximately a 2 pint capacity
- Made of durable 18/8 stainless steel
- Footed base for stability
- Dishwasher safe
Excel Stainless Steel Colander Set
This is a set of colanders that is suitable for the kitchen and flexible for different uses. The sets are shiny enough and they will help to make the kitchen more elegant. They all have a sturdy base that can support itself while you are rinsing or draining your meals.
5 used from $7.13
- Features 1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4-Quart sizes
- Constructed in high quality stainless steel
- Sturdy base to sit on the countertop and sink with ease
- Oversized handles makes handling food comfortable
- Lightweight stainless steel for easy handling
White Chef Craft Colander-Best Colanders
The uniqueness of this colander is what makes it rank among the best colander. It has a flawless white color and it is large enough for a family. It measures 11 inches wide and with a depth of 5 inches.
- Large 11 x 5-inch deep colander
- Dishwasher safe
Al de Chef Colander
Another stainless steel colander that is highly durable and it is also large enough for a bigger family. It has a width of 11.25 inches and a depth of 4.5 inches. It has a footed base that will lift the colander up for easier draining. You can wash it or wash it in the dishwasher.
- Al-de-chef^Stainless Steel^11"^Handles (2)^28cm
Cisinart CTG Sink Colander
This colander has a great design and it is a perfect choice for draining your pasta and rinsing the veggies and fruits. It has been made from high-quality stainless steel that allows it to last long enough. You can wash it safely in the dishwasher without it being damaged.
- Perfect for rinsing fruits and vegetables or draining pasta
- Nonslip handles extend to rest on top of sink
- Made from durable, stainless steel mesh
- Dishwasher safe
- Lifetime limited warranty
KitchenAid Classic 5 Quart Colander
This colander has been made from one of the leading makers of the kitchen items. It is a great tool for daily use in the kitchen. It has a nice construction and even though it is made from plastic, it is very sturdy and highly durable. The holes are big enough for fast draining.
4 used from $9.48
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: The KitchenAid Colander features a sturdy, plastic construction and two oversized handles for ease of use.
- DRAIN WATER QUICKLY: This colander's many perforations allow water to drain quickly from food.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE OPTIONS: The colander's handles are designed for convenient hanging storage as an option.
- ELEVATED BASE: Keep your food off of surfaces and countertops, the elevated base keeps contents clear of countertops and sink surfaces.
Raishi Classic Colander
This is yet another colander that is stainless steel and it has a bigger capacity of 5 quarts. The construction is solid and tough enough to last for long. It is not too heavy, so you will have an easier time handling it. It has a width of 9.25 inches and the holes are big enough to allow food to drain faster. The base is solid enough to prevent colander from wobbling. You can wash it safely in the dishwasher without it being tampered.
- PREMIUM QUALITY stainless steel, this colander is made to last. Measures 9.25 inches in diameter, the exterior has a mirror polished finish and the inside has a satin brushed steel interior which will go well in any type of kitchen.
- SOLID BASE. This colander is durable and will carry the weight of vegetables, salad, cooked rice or pasta.
- STRONG HANDLES WITH SECURE FASTENINGS so you will never have to worry about it falling apart. EVEN HOLES in the colander means you know that whatever you're straining, you won't be left with a soggy mess.
Culina Stainless Steel Colander
This one is also made from stainless steel and you can wash it without any difficulty. The surface of the colander is reflective and this makes it have an elegant display. It is durable and light enough, making it quite easy and comfortable to use. The handles are ergonomic safe and they have enough space for handling it. You can wash it easily with your hands as well.
OXO Grips Stainless Steel 5 Quarts Colander
This colander is 11.5 inches and it has a depth of 5 inches. It has a bigger capacity to handle more food. Moreover, it is a great choice for your kitchen if you have a small family. And it has a stainless steel construction that makes it more solid and durable enough. The colander has a rim along the top, which are rubberized for a perfect grip. The handles have also been covered with rubber to avoid the colander from slipping.
1 used from $27.59
- Soft, non-slip handles for a firm, comfortable grip
- Perforated design for fast and thorough straining
- Nests in Mixing Bowls for easy straining and storage
- Five feet for stability in the sink and on the countertop
- Available in 3- and 5-quart capacities
Which Colander to Choose?
These are the top 10 best colanders that you might want to get for your kitchen. They are easy to use and above all, most of them are affordable. They can also act as decor in your kitchen since they have a nice construction.
No matter what, you must read all the reviews thoroughly to know the right one of your choice according to your needs. We hope the article helped you in making a fair decision by keeping all the reviews in mind. Think before you spend your money in any use because you have earned it with your hard work and this does not deserve to get wasted in any single form.